Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Saracens hit with heavy sanctions over salary cap

Saracens hit with heavy sanctions over salary cap

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Saracens may have problems retaining stars like Owen Farrell and Maro Itoje after being heavily punished for breaching the Premiership salary cap. AFP

Saracens hit with heavy sanctions over salary cap

English and European champions Saracens have been docked 35 points and fined over £5 million ($6.5 million) for breaching the Premiership Rugby salary cap over several seasons, Premiership Rugby announced on Tuesday.

Saracens – who provided nine of the England squad including captain Owen Farrell that reached last Saturday’s Rugby World Cup final – had been subject to a nine-month investigation.

The club immediately announced they would file an appeal against the sanctions.

Following a five-day hearing in September and October, an independent three-man panel, headed by a distinguished former judge, adjudicated that Saracens had contravened the salary cap which is set at £7 million a year.

Premiership Rugby has not disclosed how much money Saracens were found to have breached the cap by, but under the salary cap regulations it must exceed £650,000, which is the amount which triggers the maximum 35-point penalty.

“The decision of the Independent Panel is that Saracens Rugby Club failed to disclose payments to players in each of the seasons 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19,” read a statement from Premiership Rugby.

“In addition, the Club is found to have exceeded the ceiling for payments to senior players in each of the three seasons. The Panel therefore upheld all of the charges.”

Saracens who topped the Premiership table last season with 78 points – before going on to beat Exeter in the final will begin the fourth round of matches on -26 points.

Newcastle Falcons finished bottom last season with 31.

“The Salary Cap Regulations stipulate that a points deduction may be imposed in the current season [2019-20] only,” read the statement.

“The sanction has no bearing on any other domestic or European competition.”

‘Pioneering approach’

Saracens chairman Nigel Wray, who has been the driving force of the club since 1995 the advent of the professional, said in an emotional statement they would be launching an appeal.

“For over 25 years, I have put my heart and soul into the game I love,” he said in the statement published on their website.

“Together we have created something incredibly special with the Saracens family, both on and off the field.

“This is absolutely devastating for everyone associated with this amazing group of players, staff, partners and fans.

“It has been acknowledged by the Panel that we never deliberately sought to mislead anyone or breach the cap and that’s why it feels like the rug is being completely pulled out from under our feet.

“We will appeal all the findings.”

Wray and Saracens will have a very narrow remit in terms of their appeal to an arbitration body.

“The review can only be on the basis that there has been an error of law, the decision is irrational or that there has been some procedural unfairness,” read the Premiership statement.

“In the event that Saracens Rugby Club seeks a review, the sanctions will be suspended pending the outcome of that review.”

Saracens have dominated domestic and to a certain extent European rugby in the past decade winning the Premiership five times and the European trophy on three occasions.

Their squad reads like a who’s who of English rugby with Farrell, Maro Itoje and Jamie George to name but three whilst they also have other World Cup stars in Wales’s Liam Williams and Scotland’s Duncan Taylor.

The club posted an operating loss of £3.89 million in their accounts for the year ending June 30, 2018 and Tuesday’s judgment, if upheld, will bring huge pressure on the club to be able to retain some of those stars.

It is believed the investigation surrounded Wray’s involvement in companies such as VunProp Ltd (Mako and Billy Vunipola), Faz Investments Ltd (Farrell) and MN Property Solutions Ltd (Itoje).

A separate statement from the club defended the use of co-investment arrangements with players, and stated that “PRL precedent already exists whereby co-investments have not been deemed part of salary in the regulations”.

The club admitted some administrative errors had been made that led to some transactions not being disclosed to Premiership Rugby but remained unapologetic over its approach to looking after their players.

“Saracens is proud of its pioneering, innovative approach to player welfare, developing their talents and supporting their entrepreneurial spirit for life beyond rugby.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Accused not treated equally, says CCHR

    The Cambodia Centre for Human Rights (CCHR) has urged the Court of Appeal to do more to ensure that an accused’s right to a fair trial is fully respected. In a bulletin released on Monday, the CCHR said it had monitored 273 cases at the

  • Investors’ $14.4M projects approved

    New investments from local and foreign sources continue to pour into Cambodia despite the Covid-19 pandemic remaining a lingering threat to regional and global economies. This comes as the Kingdom’s gross domestic product (GDP) is expected to contract between one and 2.9 per cent this

  • NagaWorld casinos set to reopen, schools to follow

    NAGACORP Ltd has requested that it be allowed to reopen its NagaWorld integrated resorts in Phnom Penh after the government recently approved casinos to operate again, provided they follow Covid-19 prevention measures set by the Ministry of Health. Mey Vann, the director-general of the Ministry

  • Rubber exports stretch 17%

    Cambodia exported 97,175 tonnes of natural rubber in the first five months of this year, surging 17 per cent compared to the same period last year as the Covid-19 pandemic stretches on, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries official Khuong Phalla told The Post on Thursday. Phalla,

  • ASEM supports Kingdom’s proposal to postpone meeting amid Covid

    The 13th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM13) scheduled to be held in Cambodia in November has been postponed until mid-2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation press statement released on Saturday said. The decision was made during a two-day meeting

  • Coffee maker roasted for producing fake product

    The Ministry of Interior’s Counter Counterfeit Committee will send a suspect to court on Monday after she allegedly roasted coffee mixed with soybeans and other ingredients, creating a product which could pose a high risk to consumers’ health. On the afternoon of July 2, the

  • Cash handout programme 80% complete

    Minister of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation Vong Soth confirmed on Thursday that the implementation of the Cash Transfer Programme For Poor and Vulnerable Households During Covid-19 had been implemented for more than 80% of the over 560,000 families. The programme was introduced one week ago.

  • Cambodia armed with money laundering laws

    Money laundering will now carry a penalty of up to five years in prison while those convicted of financing terrorists will be jailed for up to 20 years, according to new laws promulgated by King Norodom Sihamoni and seen by The Post on Thursday. Comprising nine

  • Where is Cambodia’s exit strategy that can save the economy?

    With the prospect of being slammed by a double whammy, the government is working on an economic recovery plan to deliver it from Covid-19 and the EU’s partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms scheme in the next two to three years Cambodia is

  • Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’

    With guidance from Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday. Soveacha said the first stage will be to