Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sho-time! Japanese ace Ohtani blasts first home run



Sho-time! Japanese ace Ohtani blasts first home run

Shohei Ohtani of the Los Angeles Angels is congratulated by teammates Luis Valbuena (left) and Mike Trout (right) in the dugout after hitting a three-run home-run during their game against the Cleveland Indians at Angel Stadium on Tuesday in Anaheim, California. AFP
Shohei Ohtani of the Los Angeles Angels is congratulated by teammates Luis Valbuena (left) and Mike Trout (right) in the dugout after hitting a three-run home-run during their game against the Cleveland Indians at Angel Stadium on Tuesday in Anaheim, California. AFP

Sho-time! Japanese ace Ohtani blasts first home run

Japanese prodigy Shohei Ohtani blasted a home run on his home debut for the Los Angeles Angels on Tuesday, just two days after pitching his team to victory over the Oakland Athletics.

The 23-year-old two-way star brought Angel Stadium to its feet after belting a three-run shot out of right field as the Angels made a dominating start to their game against the Cleveland Indians.

Ohtani’s three-run shot came off a curveball from Indians starter Josh Tomlin to cap a six-run first inning by the Angels.

Angels players pretended to ignore a baffled-looking Ohtani as he returned to the dugout ready to celebrate, before they turned around en masse to embrace the rising star.

Ohtani had already recorded a career hit in Major League Baseball debut last week.

On Sunday he tossed a three-hitter over six innings to set up a 7-4 win over the Athletics.

Ohtani was signed by the Angels after resisting overtures from several leading MLB franchises including the Los Angeles Dodgers, New York Yankees and San Francisco Giants.

The two-way phenom has earned comparisons to Babe Ruth for his ability to pitch and hit, and led the Nippon Ham Fighters to their first championship in 10 years in 2016.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting