Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Snooker queen Ng wins third world title to set up Crucible shot




Snooker queen Ng wins third world title to set up Crucible shot

Hong Kong's Ng On-yee won her third women’s world snooker championship in Malta on Saturday without dropping a frame. AFP
Hong Kong's Ng On-yee won her third women’s world snooker championship in Malta on Saturday without dropping a frame. AFP

Snooker queen Ng wins third world title to set up Crucible shot

Dominant Ng On-yee won her third women’s world snooker championship in Malta on Saturday, without dropping a frame, and now has her eyes on another crack at the men.

The 27-year-old world No1 from Hong Kong swept to a 5-0 win against England’s world No4 Maria Catalano, who earlier in the day had stunned 11-time world champion Reanne Evans 4-3.

It completed a perfect title defence for the bespectacled Ng, who remarkably whitewashed her opponents in all six of her matches in the tournament.

The success sees Ng become only the fifth player to win the title on three or more occasions – she first triumphed in 2015 – and she will also extend her world ranking lead after deposing decade-long No1 Evans last month.

Ng was surprised at the manner of her victory.

“I did not have great expectations coming into the tournament as I was coughing and sick so just tried to play every game, every ball,” she told www.womenssnooker.com.

“But looking back now I think that this took a lot of pressure off me.”

The win gives Ng a third chance to go for a place in the men’s professional world championship in the qualifying tournament at the Sheffield Institute of Sport in England next month.

“As well as the title, the most important thing for me is that I have now qualified to play at the professional World Championship in Sheffield which I am really looking forward to,” said Ng.

She lost in the first qualifying round on both her previous attempts to reach the showpiece, which will take place this year from April 21 to May 7 at the world-famous Crucible Theatre.

“The first time there [in 2016] when I played Peter Lines I was so nervous about the atmosphere that I did not play well.

“Last year against Nigel Bond I had more expectations, but I still didn’t play well, so hopefully this year I can just enjoy the match.”

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.