Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sophorn all set for kun Khmer challenge in France



Sophorn all set for kun Khmer challenge in France

Roeung Sophorn poses with his belts. Yeun Ponlork
Roeung Sophorn poses with his belts. Yeun Ponlork

Sophorn all set for kun Khmer challenge in France

Kun Khmer fighter Roeung Sophorn has signed a contract to compete in a Thai Fight event in Bangkok before he departs to France for a further three title bouts in a period of just three months, according to the Interior Ministry’s Boxing Association.

The deal came about after the boxer won the 69kg Red Bull Boxing Championship at the CNC Arena in Phnom Penh last month, his sixth title in his 10-year boxing career, which brought him a purse of $5,000.

Sophorn told The Post yesterday: “I have reached deals to fight in international boxing events on the soil of three countries – our country, in Thailand and in France.

He added: “Over four months, I have seven fights, including three fights in Cambodia. On February 18, I am going to fight at CNC TV station, while on February 25, I have another international bout at SEATV station. On March 4, I will fight at CNC again.”

After the bouts in his home country, Sophorn is expecting tough challenges, with his fight in Bangkok in Thai Fight on March 24, while he has another three title fights during his three-month stay in France, starting on April 4, before he returns to the Kingdom.

Sophorn said: “The three fights in France are all in a title competition called European-Asian Boxing Championships, and I strongly believe I can at least bring one of the belts back to Cambodia.”

Meam Sysora, president of the Kun Khmer Boxing Federation based in France and head of Kun Khmer International Federation said: “I will accompany Roeung Sophorn inFrance in early April. He will compete in the annual boxing event participated in by boxers from Asian and European countries.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Time to avert disastrous Covid situation: officials

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia is heading towards further large-scale community transmission as the total number of confirmed cases is nearing 61,000 and the death toll passed 900 on July 10, senior health officials warned. Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine expressed concern that the country was going

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided