Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sovan Kiri triple crown in Karetdo tournament

Sovan Kiri triple crown in Karetdo tournament

Sovan Kiri triple crown in Karetdo tournament

Sovan Kiri confirmed his dominance in karate by claiming three firsts at the 2011 National Karatedo Championships, which wrapped up its five days of competition at the National Sports Complex on Monday. The 25-year-old, who had also topped the podium during the two previous annual tournaments, won the men’s over-17 individual kata (performance) category, as well as the combative 65kg and freeweight classes. Sovan Kiri’s younger sisters also grabbed honour flags, with Ratanak triumphing in both the women’s over-17 individual kata event and the combative 48kg class, and Rachana winning the combative freeweight division. The Sovans’ club, Salakun Wadoryu, unsurprisingly collected the most flags over Youth Club, the National Team and Mekong University. 

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa