Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Stokes pleads not guilty to affray via video link




Stokes pleads not guilty to affray via video link

Stokes pleads not guilty to affray via video link

England all-rounder Ben Stokes pleaded not guilty on Monday via video link to a charge of affray over a nightclub incident that forced him out of the Ashes tour.

The powerful all-rounder, currently with the England squad in New Zealand, looks set to miss the second Test against India at Lord’s, with his trial set for August 6.

Stokes and two other men pleaded not guilty to the charge during a 15-minute hearing at Bristol Crown Court, in the southwest of England.

Stokes, 26, wearing a grey shirt, said “Hi judge” when he was introduced to Judge Peter Blair via the video link. The two other defendants, Ryan Ali, 28, and Ryan Hale, 26, appeared in person at the court.

Judge Blair set a date of August 6 for the trial, which is expected to last between five and seven days. The second Test against India starts on August 9.

“You must be here without fail for that trial,” the judge told Stokes, Ali and Hale. “You will remain on bail as before.”

Stokes missed the Ashes tour after being suspended from playing for England. Without him, the tourists lost to Australia 4-0.

England declared Stokes available again after he pleaded not guilty at Bristol Magistrates Court last month and he flew to New Zealand to join the squad after the court hearing.

Stokes, Ali and Hale are jointly charged with affray in Bristol on September 25 last year - several hours after England had played a one-day international against the West Indies.

It is alleged a 27-year-old man suffered a fractured eye socket in the incident, at which fellow England cricketer Alex Hales was also present. Hales faced no charges.

The charge states that their “conduct was such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for his personal safety”.

Stokes featured in all five of England’s one-day internationals in New Zealand, with the tourists winning the series 3-2.

England now have a two-Test series against New Zealand, which starts on March 22.

Stokes is due to play in the Indian Premier League after being sold for £1.4 million ($1.9 million) to the Rajasthan Royals.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Cintri strike ends, workers’ contracts to be terminated

    CINTRI (Cambodia) Ltd rubbish collectors who have been on strike for the past 13 days agreed to return to work starting Wednesday evening after the company agreed to terminate their contracts at the end of January next year and provide seniority payments and other benefits to