Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Struggling Southampton appoint Hughes as new manager




Struggling Southampton appoint Hughes as new manager

Former Manchester United, Chelsea and Wales striker Mark Hughes spent two seasons at Southampton as a player towards the end of his career. AFP
Former Manchester United, Chelsea and Wales striker Mark Hughes spent two seasons at Southampton as a player towards the end of his career. AFP

Struggling Southampton appoint Hughes as new manager

Premier League strugglers Southampton have appointed Mark Hughes as their new manager following the sacking of Mauricio Pellegrino, the club announced on Wednesday.

Southampton dismissed Pellegrino on Monday after a run of just one win in 17 matches left the side only a point and one place above the relegation zone with eight games of the season remaining.

“Southampton Football Club can today confirm it has appointed Mark Hughes as its new First Team Manager,” the club said in a statement.

“Hughes has agreed a contract with the club until the end of the season and will take training at the club’s Staplewood Campus for the first time on Thursday.”

Hughes, who has previous top-flight coaching experience at Blackburn, Manchester City, Fulham and QPR, was sacked as Stoke manager in January after four and a half seasons in charge.

“The objective clearly is to remain in the league and make sure we’re a Premier League club next year,” the 54-year-old Hughes said.

“That’s where this club needs to be, that’s where it should be, and that’s our intention to make sure it remains there.”

The former Manchester United, Chelsea and Wales striker spent two seasons at Southampton as a player towards the end of his career.

“It’s a challenge I’m excited by. It’s a great opportunity to come back to a club I know well, and a club I’ve got real affinity with, and I couldn’t turn that down,” he said.

“I bring experience of the Premier League. I understand what it takes in this league to win games.

“But first and foremost I think it’s about coming in and maybe being that different voice, that different message from myself and the staff, that will enable the players to recognise and focus on what needs to be done in this key period of the season.”

Ninth change of boss

Hughes’s first match in charge will be Sunday’s FA Cup quarterfinal at third-tier Wigan, the team who dumped out Pep Guardiola’s Man City in the previous round.

It is the ninth managerial change in the Premier League this season, and Hughes becomes Southampton’s third different boss since June.

Frenchman Claude Puel was sacked after leading the Saints to eighth place and the League Cup final last term, and has since thrived after taking over at Leicester earlier this season.

Argentine Pellegrino was named as Puel’s successor but paid the price for a disastrous dip in form, with Southampton having expected far better this season after three consecutive top-eight finishes.

They sold centre-back Virgil van Dijk for a record-breaking £75 million ($102 million) in January and have started leaking goals in recent weeks, conceding 19 in their last 10 Premier League outings.

But scoring has been Southampton’s biggest problem all season, with Charlie Austin their top-scorer with only six goals in all competitions.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Woman seeks answers after arrest of American partner

    Filipina Lalaine de Guzman, 48, is demanding answers for the detention of her American partner by Cambodian immigration officers after he was arrested at their home almost 90 days ago. She said without an arrest warrant or proffering any criminal charges, Stephen Sidney Greatsinger, 56, is being detained

  • ‘No chance Cambodia booted out of ASEAN’

    A group of former and current Cambodian diplomats on Tuesday fired back at retired Singaporean diplomat Bihalari Kausikan after he proposed that ASEAN dismiss Cambodia and Laos from the bloc. In an open letter, the Cambodian diplomats said Kausikan’s remarks were made from a

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital