Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Super League votes ‘to stop controversial signings’




Super League votes ‘to stop controversial signings’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former Australia rugby union international Israel Folau has switched to rugby league with the Catalans Dragons. AFP

Super League votes ‘to stop controversial signings’

Super League chiefs voted unanimously on Wednesday for more powers to stop future controversial signings after rugby league club Catalans Dragons snapped up Israel Folau.

The issue of the dual-code international, who was sacked by Australian rugby union chiefs over his highly publicised homophobic views, dominated business at a routine meeting of sides in the northern English city of Salford.

After a four-hour meeting delegates emerged without comment, leaving Super League’s executive chairman Robert Elstone to issue a statement.

“Super League has clearly and consistently outlined its position on Israel Folau,” it said.

“With the season under way, we now feel it is important for Super League to separate what is an off-field matter from what is happening on the field.

“The Super League board accepts the legalities around the RFL’s [Rugby Football League’s] decision to register Israel Folau and the board has voted unanimously to put in place measures that ensure the Super League has greater authority to stop controversial signings such as this in the future.

“As a sport, we have an impressive and enviable track record when it comes to equality, diversity and inclusion and we will continue our great work in those areas.”

Bernard Guasch, chairman of the French club, was conspicuous by his absence at the meeting even though other clubs had requested his presence.

The club were instead represented by consultant Niel Wood and sports director Alex Chan.

The Dragons said Guasch, who has defended his outfit’s decision to hand Folau a 12-month contract, was forced to attend to business in France.

The Folau signing has sparked anger from other Super League teams.

Hull KR chairman Neil Hudgell wrote a letter to the Dragons warning them of possible legal consequences in the event of his club losing out financially due to the presence of the Australian.

Folau ‘excited’

Folau arrived in Perpignan at the weekend to begin training with his new team-mates but he is not expected to be risked for this weekend’s match at Wakefield.

The 30-year-old said he was “excited to be back playing the game that I grew up playing”.

“It’s been 10 years since I last played rugby league and I’m grateful for the opportunity to be part of a great organisation, a great team in the Catalans Dragons,” he said.

Coach Steve McNamara admitted the club had expected the signing of Folau to be controversial.

But he added: “Having spent a lot of time speaking to him and understanding him a lot more, and getting the reassurances we did, we made a decision as a club that we would support the signing of Israel and give him another opportunity in our game.”

Folau, who scored 37 tries in 73 Test appearances for the Wallabies, was dismissed last May after a social media post warning “hell awaits” gay people.

Both the RFL, the English game’s governing body, and Super League said they “deplored” Folau’s previous comments and the RFL said it was “a difficult decision” to allow him into the competition.

Rugby Australia in December reached a mediated agreement to end Folau’s lawsuit over his sacking but the financial terms of the deal were confidential.

Folau had been demanding A$14 million (US$9.5 million) in compensation, claiming he was unlawfully dismissed under legislation that bans sacking someone because of their religion.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from