Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Svitolina says won’t compete against Russians



Svitolina says won’t compete against Russians

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina reacts after loosing a point against Belarus’ Victoria Azarenka during their women’s singles match on Day 5 of the Australian Open tennis tournament on January 21. AFP

Svitolina says won’t compete against Russians

The top-ranked Ukranian woman tennis player, Elina Svitolina, on Monday said she would refuse to play Russian and Belarusian tennis players in tournaments.

She also criticised the governing bodies of tennis, shortly after two of her compatriots aimed a swing at the WTA when they criticised the organisation for not taking a position on the Russian military offensive in their country.

Svitolina, ranked 15th in the world, is the top seed in the WTA tournament in Monterrey where she is drawn to play Russian Anastasia Potapova in her first match. Two other Russians, Kamilla Rakhimova and Anna Kalinskaya, are also in the draw.

“I want to announce that I will not play in Monterrey, nor any other match, against Russian or Belarusian tennis players until our organisations take the necessary actions,” Svitolina wrote on Twitter.

“I do not blame Russian athletes,” she wrote. “I wish to pay tribute to all players, especially Russians and Belarusians, who bravely stated their position against the war. Their support is essential.”

But, she wrote, the governing bodies of men’s (ATP), women’s and international (ITF) tennis needed to act.

“I believe the current situation requires a clear position from our organisations: ATP, WTA and ITF,” she said.

Svitolina was echoing two other Ukrainians, Marta Kostyuk, ranked 54th in the world, and Lesia Tsurenko, a former top-25 player now ranked 127, who both posted a letter on social media expressing “our great surprise and dissatisfaction with the lack of any response with the situation in our Motherland”.

“It is especially strange that in prior cases of social justice and sexual harassment the response of the WTA was prompt, appropriate and bold,” they wrote.

“We demand that WTA immediately condemn the Russian government, pull all tournaments out of Russia and approach the ITF to do the same.”

Follow IOC guidance

They urged the WTA to “follow the guidance of the IOC”, which has called for a sporting ban on Russia.

But Kostyuk and Tsurenko stopped short of calling for a ban on Russian players.

“We fully support our colleagues from Russia and any Russian-speaking tennis player as we understand the unprovoked attacks happened without their knowledge and participation.”

“Stop the War. Stop Russian aggression. Bring Peace to our homes. Be HUMAN,” they concluded.

The WTA did on Monday tweet a video of Ukrainian sisters Dayana and Ivanna Yastremska taking the court for a doubles match in Lyon.

“Sending love back home,” said the WTA caption.

The pair lost 6-2, 6-4 to Spaniard Georgina Garcia-Perez and Xenia Knoll of Switzerland.

Dayana said her family had needed to shelter from bombs underground last week, before her and her 15-year-old sister embarked on a tiring journey to France, leaving their parents behind in Ukraine.

“We were woken up by bombs,” the 21-year-old, who said she went three nights without sleep, told a press conference. “We didn’t realise or understand what was going on . . . It was crazy . . .

“My father told me ‘I don’t know how everything will end, but you have to take care of each other. You have to build your new life’.”

Yastremska said they travelled away from Odessa by car, before eventually crossing the Danube by boat to reach Romania.

On Sunday, the Ukrainian tennis federation wrote to the European Tennis Federation and the International Tennis Federation demanding they expel Russia and Belarus.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro