Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Table tennis recruits capture podium places

Table tennis recruits capture podium places

Table tennis recruits capture podium places

The Cambodian table tennis team, of which four players had been specially drafted from overseas, claimed a total of two gold and two bronze medals from the 2014 Southeast Asian Table Tennis Championship to break an absence from the podium of 40 years.

The five-day event, which concluded on Wednesday at the Booyoung Khmer Taekwondo Centre in the National Sports Complex, saw South Korean player Ly Song-hong triumph in the men’s singles by beating a Singaporean opponent 4-2 in Wednesday’s final.

Meanwhile, Ly and his compatriot partner Su Kim-sour also grabbed a bronze for Cambodia in the men’s doubles after they lost to the eventual winners from Singapore.

Kim-sour had forfeited his semifinal singles match against Song-hong to collect a bronze. The kingdom had already struck gold in the men’s team competition with a squad that also featured three South Koreans, a Vietnamese and one homegrown talent Seun Tola, who was a reserve players.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • Shanxi wins bid to build sections of new Siem Reap airport

    Shanxi Mechanization Construction Group recently won the bid to build two sections of the new Siem Reap Angkor International Airport project in Cambodia for 290 million yuan ($42.16 million). The existing Angkor International Airport in Siem Reap, 5km from the famous ancient temple complex and world tourism

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said