Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - TFC in double trouble after Thailand withdraws




TFC in double trouble after Thailand withdraws

TFC in double trouble after Thailand withdraws

The Tennis Federation of Cambodia is stretching well beyond its financial means to honour its three-event ITF Men’s Futures package.  The Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand has backed out of its commitment to host the third leg of the regional events in a fashion similar to the recent Vietnam flip-flop.

A terse email from the Thai association two days ago expressing its inability to stage the third leg during the second week of February came as a total shock to the TFC, forcing the federation to seek desperate alternatives. After considerable thought and hectic parleys with the officials of the International Tennis Federation, the TFC has now found the best possible way to salvage the situation.

The three-leg US$10,000  package will now be compressed into two $15,000 events, with the TFC hosting them both at the National Training Centre in Phnom Penh on the dates previously announced - the first leg on January 24-30, and the second from January 31 to February 6.

ITF Administrator for Beach Tennis & Professional tournaments, Alistair Williams sent an email to the TFC Secretary General Tep Rithivit late on Tuesday.

“Keeping your tournaments on the calendar and in the same weeks is our main priority, but with other nations in the region not able to commit to holding the third event at such short notice, increasing the prize money at your two tournaments is certainly the preferred alternative,” said Williams.

The tennis official felt that pushing the series back to March was an unfavourable option, noting that “holding just two rather than three tournaments means costs like officiating and event staff will remain the same.”

In the light of the prize fund being upgraded to $15,000 for each event, the ITF will provide an additional grant of $8,000. However, the added financial burden for the TFC will weigh very heavily on its coffers.

The two back-to-back tournaments are likely to cost up to $72,000, and even with financial support from corporate sponsors ANZ Royal Bank and Infinity Insurance as well as the ITF grants, the Federation is likely to face a massive shortfall.

“It is an historic opportunity we did not want to miss at any cost,” said Tep Rithivit.

“We are terribly disappointed with what happened regarding the third leg. We know we have to stretch our resources like elastic to meet the financial demands but this is the only way we could have achieved our twin aims of saving the Futures and sticking to the Calendar.”

The TFC is now working frantically to amend and submit two fact sheets – which outline the conduct of the tournaments – to the ITF, while launching their appeal for new sponsors.

“I am glad that the uncertainty has been removed. I hope the country’s business community and the corporate sector will step in to help us stage these historic events,” said Tep Rithivit.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from