Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tokyo 2020 organisers to discuss chief’s sexist remarks



Tokyo 2020 organisers to discuss chief’s sexist remarks

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Tokyo 2020 president Yoshiro Mori listens to a question from a journalist during a news conference in Tokyo last Thursday. AFP

Tokyo 2020 organisers to discuss chief’s sexist remarks

Tokyo Olympics organisers are planning to meet this week to discuss their response to sexist comments made by their boss, said reports on February 9, after hundreds of event volunteers quit in the ensuing furore.

Gaffe-prone Tokyo 2020 chief Yoshiro Mori, 83, sparked uproar in Japan and abroad last week when he said women speak too much in meetings.

He has since apologised but refused to step down, and the International Olympic Committee says it considers the matter closed.

Japanese media said the Tokyo 2020 organising committee is planning to meet later this week, possibly on February 12, to discuss its response as calls grow for Mori to resign.

Following Mori’s remarks, 390 Olympic and Paralympic volunteers have quit, the committee said, noting that this number includes withdrawals for all reasons.

A total of 80,000 volunteers from Japan and overseas have been recruited for this summer’s virus-postponed Games.

Two people have pulled out of the torch relay and around 4,000 people made complaint calls to organisers, according to public broadcaster NHK.

The row is the latest headache for organisers already battling public disquiet about the delayed Olympics, with polls showing more than 80 per cent of Japanese oppose holding the event this summer.

Mori apologised on February 3 and said he wished to retract his remarks – but then became defensive when questioned, insisting he had heard complaints that women speak at length.

An online campaign calling for action against Mori has attracted more than 140,000 signatures, while tennis superstar Naomi Osaka slammed the comments as “ignorant”.

Top government spokesman Katsunobu Kato said that organisers should try to convince volunteers to return.

“It is important that the organising committee gives a careful explanation to volunteers,” he said, after Tokyo 2020 released a statement quoting Mori’s apology and reaffirming its commitment to gender equality and diversity.

But ruling party heavyweight Toshihiro Nikai also reportedly said Monday that volunteers “would change their minds when things calm down”, sparking further ire online and from other politicians.

“If they really want to quit, we’ll need to recruit new ones,” he said, according the Asahi Shimbun newspaper.

Some Olympic sponsors have expressed disappointment to organisers over the furore, the Mainichi Shimbun daily reported.

Some firms told organisers they had received complaints and boycott threats after Mori’s comments, the Mainichi said, citing unnamed sources.

“We would like to refrain from ‘performing’ with president Mori” to promote products, the newspaper quoted one company official as saying.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Cambodia resumes issuance of tourist visas

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has announced the resumption of its tourist visa and visa exemption programme after a long hiatus due to the Covid-19 pandemic. In a letter dated October 20 and addressed to foreign embassies and consulates, foreign minister Prak Sokhonn

  • S’ville set to turn into ‘second Shenzhen’

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance has awarded a master plan consultancy contract to top Chinese institute for the development and transformation of Preah Sihanouk province into a “Model Multi-Purpose Special Economic Zone”, Southeast Asia’s next logistics and resort hub and innovation centre. The

  • Health ministry issues SOP for travellers

    The Ministry of Health released their official Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) on October 20 for all travellers to Cambodia, with the specific instructions varying according to whether the traveller is fully vaccinated, partially vaccinated or unvaccinated. The SOP document is essentially identical to the updated quarantine