Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Trainer banned at Santa Anita as 30th horse dies




Trainer banned at Santa Anita as 30th horse dies

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
In this photo taken last month, horses race at Santa Anita Park as controversy continues over the high number of horse deaths at the track in Arcadia, California. AFP

Trainer banned at Santa Anita as 30th horse dies

Hall of Fame trainer Jerry Hollendorfer was banned from Santa Anita on Saturday after a horse in his care died while training – the 30th equine fatality at the Southern California racetrack since December 26.

The Stronach Group, which owns the track located northeast of Los Angeles, said in a statement that Hollendorfer “is no longer welcome to stable, race or train horses at any of our facilities.”

American Currency, a four-year-old gelding trained by Hollendorfer, was euthanised on Saturday after suffering a leg injury while running over the training track, which sits between the turf course and the infield and is not used for racing.

It was the fourth Hollendorfer-trained horse to die at Santa Anita and the 30th death since the track’s racing season began on December 26.

It was the second equine death at Santa Anita – which is due to host the Breeders’ Cup in November – since track officials refused a request from the California Horse Racing Board to suspend racing, instead opting to complete the season that was scheduled to end on Sunday.

The deaths have put racing under scrutiny across the country.

Hollendorfer came in for heavy criticism in a CNN story that aired on Friday, which reported that the CHRB is investigating the role of trainers in some of the deaths and has experts examining the remains of the dead horses for clues.

The CHRB declined to comment for the story, and The Stronach Group gave few details in its statement on Hollendorfer.

‘Increasingly challenging’

“Individuals who do not embrace the new rules and safety measures that put horse and rider safety above all else, will have no place at any Stronach Group racetrack,” the company’s statement said.

“We regret that Mr Hollendorfer’s record in recent months at both Santa Anita and Golden Gate Fields has become increasingly challenging and does not match the level of safety and accountability we demand.

Hollendorfer declined to comment for the CNN report, which said he had been sanctioned 19 times by the CHRB since 2006 for overmedication or use of illicit medications on horses.

On Saturday he noted in comments to the Daily Racing Form that he had “never been suspended or anything like that”.

“I’m training over 100 horses right now,” he told the publication. “Santa Anita didn’t want me stay on the grounds. My opinion was that was a premature thing to do. I thought it was extreme.”

The number of deaths at Santa Anita has prompted calls from animal-advocacy groups and some politicians for a halt in racing at Santa Anita, or even a ban of the sport in California.

Racing was halted at the track for much of March while tests were conducted of the surface and subsurface of the dirt track, with no apparent cause for the increase in breakdowns found.

Races resumed on April 4 after the CHRB approved a series of Stronach-proposed safety measures including a reduction in race-day administration of medications and the elimination of the use of riding crops except to ensure safety.

Santa Anita and the CHRB have also created a “safety review team” that evaluates all horses at the track.

The five-member panel of veterinarians and stewards has the authority to scratch a horse from a race if even one panelist questions the animal’s fitness.

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,