Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US Open faces D-day due to player uncertainty about NYC




US Open faces D-day due to player uncertainty about NYC

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Defending US Open Champion Novak Djokovic says most players have a negative view toward plans to play the tournament in August. AFP

US Open faces D-day due to player uncertainty about NYC

The fate of the US Open is set to be revealed next week when officials decide whether or not the tournament can go ahead as planned amid mounting unease among top players.

The deadly Covid-19 pandemic, which has decimated the international tennis calendar, now has the Flushing Meadows fortnight in its crosshairs.

With New York the hardest-hit city by the US coronavirus crisis, the US Tennis Association (USTA) has been scrambling to come up with a plan that allows the tournament to be staged.

But with the French Open postponed to a September 20 start, Wimbledon cancelled and the tennis season in shutdown, the US Open’s status has looked increasingly questionable as its August 31 start date looms ever closer.

After considering and reportedly discarding the idea of moving the tournament to either California or Florida, the USTA has settled on staging the event in New York inside a protective “bubble”, possibly without fans.

Under safety protocols proposed for the tournament, players would be confined to a hotel outside of Manhattan and would only be allowed to bring one member of their entourage to the event.

Singles qualifying would be eliminated while the doubles tournaments would be drastically reduced from 64 pairings to just 24.

The ATP/WTA Cincinnati Masters event could also be shifted to New York as a lead-in tournament.

“This is the world we are living in,” USTA’s director of player relations Eric Butorac told ATP and WTA players during a conference call on Wednesday.

“We believe this is a good plan and believe it is good for the sport. It’s good for the tennis economy, creates jobs for you, for coaches, for commentators, for so many people.

“And most importantly, this plan keeps you safe.”

‘Mission ‘impossible’

So far, however, those words of reassurance have failed to quell unease amongst some of the international tennis circuit’s biggest names.

World No1 Novak Djokovic said the proposed safety measures and restrictions on the numbers of support staff were problematical.

Djokovic said: “We would not have access to Manhattan, we would have to sleep in hotels at the airport, to be tested twice or three times per week.

“Also, we could bring one person to the club, which is really impossible.

“I mean, you need your coach, then a fitness trainer, then a physiotherapist,” said the Serbian.

He said most players he had spoken to had “a rather negative view” about playing in New York, and predicted some would instead switch to the delayed clay court season instead.

Djokovic’s misgivings were shared by defending men’s singles champion Rafael Nadal, who would be chasing a 20th Grand Slam title at Flushing.

Spain’s Nadal, the world No2, said earlier this month that he would not play in New York if the tournament was taking place now.

The 34-year-old says tennis should not resume until it is “completely safe” for all competitors.

Australia’s Nick Kyrgios, meanwhile, accused the ATP Tour of riding roughshod over player concerns.

He tweeted: “The ATP is trying to make the US Open go ahead. Selfish with everything going on at the moment.”

Yet Djokovic’s reservations have not won over some of tennis’s rank and file. US women’s singles player Danielle Collins lambasted Djokovic’s public statements about the proposed limits on support staff.

Collins said: “This is a massive opportunity for players to start making money again, and here we have the top player in the world saying only being able to bring one person with [him] will be too difficult.

“It’s easy when someone has made $150 million throughout their career to try and tell people what to do with their money, and then turn down playing in the US Open.”

Whatever the USTA decides, the organisation, which last week laid off more than 100 employees, is coming to terms with what will be another massive financial hit to revenues, which have already been “shattered”, said its president Patrick Galbraith.

Last year, an estimated $400 million of the USTA’s financial revenues of $485 million were generated by its flagship tournament, with a large chunk of that money coming from sponsors and people attending US Open matches.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • Cambodia, India agree to start direct flights, tourism exchanges

    Cambodia and India have agreed to start direct flight connections and promote closer tourism exchanges and cooperation in all areas after the Covid-19 saga comes to a close. The agreement was reached during a meeting between Cambodian Minister of Tourism Thong Khon and newly-minted Indian

  • Plastic-to-rice initiative transforms waste into bricks

    Volunteers in Kampong Khlaing commune of Siem Reap province’s Sotr Nikum district have been collecting plastic waste to use as a raw material for the production of bricks and clemence tiles. The volunteers are hoping that, in addition to helping clean up the environment,