Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US women’s football agree to settlement




US women’s football agree to settlement

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The US women’s team celebrate after winning the 2015 Fifa Women’s World Cup over Japan. AFP

US women’s football agree to settlement

The US women’s squad have agreed a settlement deal with the US Soccer Federation on outstanding claims over working conditions, it was announced on December 1.

The agreement, filed in a California federal court, was focused on travel, hotel accommodations, match venues and staffing, while setting up an appeal from players over a court ruling last May that rejected many of their claims for pay equal to male players in a wage discrimination lawsuit.

US Soccer president Cindy Cone, who took over the post earlier this year, called the settlement “an important and welcomed moment for US Soccer and the women’s national team players”.

“I believe our approach helped us reach this agreement and demonstrates the commitment of US Soccer’s new leadership to find a new way forward with the USWNT [US women’s national soccer team]. This settlement is good news for everyone and I believe will serve as a springboard for continued progress.”

Terms of the deal would begin immediately but would not address past actions or involve payments to the women, whose litigation could lead to millions of dollars in back pay if successful.

Cone said she hoped the “positive step forward” would lead to the women’s players “accepting our standing offer to discuss contract options”.

Cone, a former US women’s player, said she was “committed to equality” between the US men’s and women’s teams, adding: “My goal is, and has always been, to come to a resolution on all equal pay matters and inspire a new era of collaboration, partnership and trust.”

The US won its fourth Women’s World Cup title in France last year.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said