Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - What comes next for cricket in 2020? Four key questions




What comes next for cricket in 2020? Four key questions

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
New Zealand batsmen run between the wickets during a test match with Australia. AFP

What comes next for cricket in 2020? Four key questions

The coronavirus may have struck shortly before the English cricket season was due to start but it threatens to have major implications for the game worldwide.

English officials still believe they can fit a full international programme of three-Test series against the West Indies and Pakistan, as well as one-day internationals with Australia and Ireland, into a season that won’t start until July 1 at the earliest.

But there is now an expectation matches will have to be played behind closed doors, in the short-term at least, as a way of stopping the spread of Covid-19.

That would, however, still allow the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to honour lucrative broadcast contracts and avoid the nightmare scenario of a completely wiped out season that could cost the organisation £380 million ($460 million).

Here are the key issues confronting cricket amid the pandemic.

Will teams go on tour?

West Indies and Pakistan, two of crickets less well-off major teams, have both made encouraging noises about touring England, subject to health concerns and appear to ready to factor a 14-day quarantine on arrival in Britain, because of UK government regulations, into their planning.

Matches are set to be played at ‘bio-secure’ venues such as Hampshire’s Ageas Bowl or Old Trafford that have onsite hotels.

“We are trying to get to England early July so that we can get the quarantine done,” said Pakistan Cricket Board CEO Wasim Khan.

Australia were meant to play three Twenty20s and three one-day internationals in July but may delay their visit to later in the season after seeing how the West Indies and Pakistan series pan out.

“Obviously we won’t jeopardise the safety of the players,” Cricket Australia CEO Kevin Roberts told the Sydney Daily Telegraph.

“But the best test of that is the West Indian and Pakistan tours of England before we’re due to tour. We hope they go off without a hitch.”

What will cricket look like?

Even if a rescheduled series between England and the West Indies starts in July, the game itself will look very different.

Not only will there be no spectators but wicket celebrations such as ‘high fives’ are set to be banned according to International Cricket Council (ICC) guidelines issued last week.

Umpires have also been instructed to wear gloves to minimise the risk of infection, with bowlers no longer handing their cap and sweater to officials for the same reason.

Another ‘interim’ measure, which still requires approval at a June vote, would see bowlers banned from using saliva to shine the ball to aid swing, although they will still be allowed to apply their own sweat.

Travel restrictions could see two umpires from a home nation stand in a Test for the first time since 1994 when the ICC started moving towards neutral officials to counter accusations of bias.

The ICC’s cricket committee also said last week each team should be awarded an additional Umpire Decision Review System (DRS) review per innings.

Meanwhile, Chris Broad, the only Englishman on the ICC’s elite panel of referees, may have to officiate in matches involving his son Stuart, the England fast bowler.

What will happen to the Twenty20 World Cup and IPL?

An ICC board meeting on Thursday, could see the men’s Twenty20 (T20) World Cup, due to held in Australia from October 18, postponed.

Problems over flying in 16 teams to Australia may be reason enough to delay the event by a year.

That would allow the already postponed franchise Indian Premier League, the world’s wealthiest T20 competition, to go ahead in its place.

Manoj Badale, a part-owner of the Rajasthan Royals, told the London-based The Daily Telegraph last month: “No IPL [this year] would be a big $600 million loss for the global cricket economy.”

South African director of cricket Graeme Smith has called for India’s Sourav Ganguly, a fellow former Test captain, to become the next ICC chairman.

The Proteas, hard hit by the low value of South Africa’s rand, hope to host a three-match T20 series against India in August.

What does this mean for women’s cricket?

The women’s game was riding the crest of a wave after a crowd of over 86,000 in Melbourne saw hosts Australia beat India in the final of the T20 World Cup in March, shortly before global sport went into lockdown.

But Clare Connor, the ECB’s managing director of women’s cricket, has accepted her side of the game may have to be sacrificed completely in order for more lucrative men’s matches to go ahead this season.

But there are hopes a series with South Africa could still take place in September.

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped