Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Activists skip court over Ley stupa funds

Activists skip court over Ley stupa funds

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Late political analyst Kem Ley's stupa under construction in Takeo province in August.

Activists skip court over Ley stupa funds

Independent media observer Pa Nguon Teang and migrant rights advocate Moeun Tola both missed scheduled hearings at the Phnom Penh court yesterday, and have requested the court delay their appearances.

Nguon Teang, Tola and activist monk But Buntenh were all accused by Cambodian Youth Party President Pich Sros of misappropriating funds for murdered analyst Kem Ley’s funeral stupa.

Sros, who did not sit on Ley’s funeral committee, filed his lawsuit after he was criticised for a Kem Ley fundraiser in which he took in only $750 after spending $2,300 on food, transport and “support”.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cambodian Youth Party President Pich Sros outside the Phnom Penh Muncipal Court, where he filed complaints against three activists for allegedly embezzling funds raised for slain political commentator Kem Ley’s stupa. Photo supplied

He has maintained the failure of his fundraiser was accidental, but has not presented any evidence for wrongdoing on the part of the three accused. Sros has recently been accused of being a ruling party plant after filing a request to the Ministry of Interior to dissolve the opposition CNRP.

Sam Chamroeun, lawyer for Nguon Teang, who is currently abroad, requested a delay this morning. Tola said he had already requested a delay on Friday. Buntenh is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday, but has said he will not attend.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials