Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Convicted Dutch pedophile arrested for third time in Siem Reap




Convicted Dutch pedophile arrested for third time in Siem Reap

Convicted pedophile Sebastian Reuijl (left) is seen in Siem Reap province in a 2014 image. Photo supplied
Convicted pedophile Sebastian Reuijl (left) is seen in Siem Reap province in a 2014 image. Photo supplied

Convicted Dutch pedophile arrested for third time in Siem Reap

A convicted Dutch pedophile is currently under investigation by Siem Reap Provincial Court for the third time in the last six years.

Sebastian Reuijl was first convicted in the Netherlands in 2004 for abusing a 12-year-old boy at a sailing school where he worked as an instructor.

He later moved to Cambodia, and in October 2011, the Siem Reap Provincial Court sentenced him to three months in prison for sexually abusing five children aged 7 to 13. Reuijl was rearrested in December 2013 on fresh charges, which were dropped the following March.

He was arrested yet again late last month, this time over child sex offences allegedly committed against a 4-year-old boy, according to provincial court spokesman Yem Srang.

Provincial chief of anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection police Doung Thavery said Reuijl had been under surveillance for some time.

“We decided to raid the room he was renting and found his habits unchanged; he was still doing that to underage boys,” Thavery said.

Inside the room, police discovered the 4-year-old alleged victim. “Sebastian and the boy’s family lived close to each other. Sebastian always enticed the boy up to his room with pizza and let him play games, then he took the opportunity to abuse the boy.”

Reuijl is being held for questioning and a date for his trial has yet to be set.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that