Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court rejects former RFA reporters’ bail bid after US senators call for pair’s release



Court rejects former RFA reporters’ bail bid after US senators call for pair’s release

Former RFA reporter Yeang Sothearin seen in a prison van as he is taken to Cambodia’s Supreme Court on Friday morning, where he was denied bail.
Former RFA reporter Yeang Sothearin seen in a prison van as he is taken to Cambodia’s Supreme Court on Friday morning, where he was denied bail. Heng Chivoan

Court rejects former RFA reporters’ bail bid after US senators call for pair’s release

Cambodia's Supreme Court on Friday rejected bail for two former Radio Free Asia journalists accused in November of espionage in a widely criticised press freedom case, the day after a group of US senators called for the pair’s release.

Yeang Sothearin, 35, and Oun Chhin, 49, were arrested on suspicion of filing stories to the US-funded news organisation a month after RFA shuttered its in-country service during a broader clampdown on independent media. The charges against the pair have been widely condemned by international media organisations.

Naly Pilorge, of the rights group Licadho, criticised the court’s rejection. “It’s outrageous that the highest court in the country could not decide to release two men who can only be found to work in frontline journalism so they can rejoin their young children and grandchildren again,” she said.

The two were charged with supplying a foreign state with information which undermines national defence. If convicted, they could face up to 15 years in prison. No trial date has been set. In rejecting their bid for bail, the Supreme Court upheld the verdict of the lower Appeal Court, which ruled in favour of their ongoing pre-trial detention.

Judge Soeung Panhavuth, who read the verdict, said the judges deemed it necessary to keep the two in pre-trial detention.

“The Appeal Court did not release them on bail and put them under court supervision, for . . . reasons such as to prevent such a crime from happening again. The Supreme Court sees that it’s also right,” Judge Panhavuth said.

Oun Chhin (centre) and Yeang Sothearin (right) exit a prison van on Friday morning.
Oun Chhin (centre) and Yeang Sothearin (right) exit a prison van on Friday morning. Heng Chivoan

Sothearin, however, made a lengthy and impassioned plea for his release.

“The authorities took my two phones and they have my phone and email passwords. I already cooperated with authorities. It’s clear that I am loyal and I have nothing to hide from you,” he said. “After checking, they don’t find any evidence.”

He said his passport could be confiscated and he was not a flight risk.

Both described the Supreme Court decision as “unjust”. “The arrest is an intimidation to other journalists working in Cambodia. It’s a further restriction to freedom of press,” Sothearin said.

His brother, Yeang Vina, 44, said he was left speechless by the Supreme Court decision.

He said Sothearin’s wife and two children had faced hardships since his arrest, although a local NGO had provided her a few hundred dollars to help send her children to school.

“Now, his wife and kids are my burden. They live with me. His wife does not have any job to do, except looking after two children,” he said. “I don’t know how to earn more to further support her. We only appeal for help.”

Oun Chhin's second wife and youngest child outside the Supreme Court this morning.
Oun Chhin's second wife and youngest child outside the Supreme Court this morning. Heng Chivoan

Sothearin was also questioned earlier this month in relation to possible pornography charges that could be levelled against Chhin after images were circulated by government mouthpiece Fresh News, purportedly depicting Chhin taking part in and filming a sex act. In stills seen by The Post, Chhin could not be conclusively identified as the man in question.

Though there has been some international criticism of the arrests, the US government has been largely quiet about the case, despite the fact that RFA is both US-based and supported.

However, a group of US senators expressed their concern last week, addressing a letter to Prime Minister Hun Sen dated March 15 urging the immediate release of Chhin and Sothearin, along with former opposition President Kem Sokha. Signed by senators Dick Durbin, Edward Markey, Patrick Leahy, and Ted Cruz, they write that the arrests of the three “appear to be politically motivated”.

The senators note concern “specifically” over the detention of the RFA reporters. “We are deeply troubled by reports of the deterioration of their physical and mental health,” they said, writing that the prison conditions had “resulted in the men suffering from scabies”.

The senators also decried an overall worsening rights situation within the country.

“Your government’s current repression of civil society and silencing of differing political voices threatens our relationship,” the letter continues.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said the criticism “doesn’t bother” Cambodia.

“It’s none of their business; it’s an internal affair,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants