Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Garment workers at shuttered Cambodia factories try to cash in on government compensation offer

Garment workers at shuttered Cambodia factories try to cash in on government compensation offer

Workers from the shuttered Chung Fai Knitwear factory block National Road 2 in 2016. Workers from the factory said yesterday they are optimistic of a resolution to their dispute over back pay. Photo supplied
Workers from the shuttered Chung Fai Knitwear factory block National Road 2 in 2016. Workers from the factory said yesterday they are optimistic of a resolution to their dispute over back pay. Photo supplied

Garment workers at shuttered Cambodia factories try to cash in on government compensation offer

After a surprise announcement last week from the Ministry of Labour that it would pay employees from a group of shuttered factories whose owners had fled, garment workers and union leaders are scrambling to figure out which factories qualify for compensation.

The ministry said it had set aside $4.6 million for employees of nine factories.

However, employees say they have been left guessing as to which are on the list. Workers from at least two Phnom Penh factories – Co-Seek Garment and Center World Garment – have been informed their companies were not included.

Former Co-Seek employee Khun Nary said she and other workers were told by a ministry official last week that they were not among the nine chosen companies, after the official first claimed the payouts were “fake news”.

Roughly 100 former employees of Co-Seek are still seeking salary and severance after their factory owner took off in August 2016.

“The court procedure has taken a very long time and we still haven’t gotten a solution yet,” Nary said.

Meanwhile, workers in Chung Fai Knitwear factory say they are cautiously optimistic after going to the prime minister’s cabinet and being asked to fill out contact forms for all workers.

“I have a bit of hope now that I and other workers will get the payment of our salary and severance,” said Khorn Chivin, a former Chung Fai employee.

Chivin said labour officials told the group that five factories in Phnom Penh, three in Kampong Speu, one in Kandal and one in Kampot had been chosen.

Ministry of Labour spokesman Heng Sour could not be reached yesterday and Garment Manufacturers Association of Cambodia head Ken Loo said he did not know which companies were included.

Labour rights activists welcomed the decision to pay the workers as a short-term solution but stressed that many workers would be left out.

“There’s numerous factories, not just nine,” Solidarity Center senior program officer Khun Tharo said. “What will be the long-term strategy and process of factory closures needs to be addressed.”

Tharo said a group of workers from Center World Garment also went to the ministry last week and were informed that they were not among the chosen factories. Roughly 200 workers from the factory have not received severance since the factory was closed in 2015.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s