Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gov’t headed to Nauru soon over potential resettlements



Gov’t headed to Nauru soon over potential resettlements

Three refugees from an Australian-run detention centre on Nauru arrive in Phnom Penh last year after travelling from Australia for resettlement in the Kingdom.
Three refugees from an Australian-run detention centre on Nauru arrive in Phnom Penh last year after travelling from Australia for resettlement in the Kingdom. Pha Lina

Gov’t headed to Nauru soon over potential resettlements

Cambodian refugee officials are expected to arrive on the shores of chaotic Nauru this month to interview two Iranian refugees about resettling in the Kingdom under a controversial deal with Australia.

Tan Sovichea, refugee director of the Interior Ministry’s Immigration Department, confirmed yesterday that two refugees from Iran – a man and a woman, both believed to be over 30 – had expressed interest in moving to Cambodia.

Of the four Iranian refugees who previously moved here under the scheme, three have since returned to Iran.

“So far from Nauru, three refugees returned back home to Iran. With their own people, there is no more discrimination or torture sanctioned by the government,” Sovichea said.

Although he said he was still waiting on paperwork from the Australian government, he expected the trip to Nauru would take place later this month, to ensure the refugees were willing volunteers and not coerced.

“We go there and confirm they are really voluntary – if, after our presentation, they change their mind, we cannot force them,” he said.

The Australian government has shelled out almost A$8 million (US$5.9 million) for the scheme to date, with a Senate Estimates hearing last week showing Cambodia had received almost A$5 million (out of A$40 million promised in aid) and A$2.71 million spent on resettlement (out of an allotted A$15 million).

The auditor-general for Australia, Grant Hehir, last month indicated a performance audit of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s management of Australian aid to Cambodia was “being considered” for investigation as part of an audit program to be finalised mid-2016.

Hehir’s statement came in response to a call from Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young to gauge the “value for money” of the deal, with “significant public funding being used to resettle very few people”.

Ian Rintoul of the Refugee Action Coalition said this latest resettlement of Iranian refugees could see them follow in the footsteps of their predecessors.

“Cambodia will remain a stepping stone to somewhere that can provide the security and protection that they need,” he said.

He said despite “appalling” conditions on Nauru – where two refugees self-immolated last week – only a handful of refugees had taken up the offer, which includes $8,000 in cash and resettlement assistance from the International Organization for Migration for one year.

Spokespeople for the Australian Embassy in Phnom Penh and Immigration Minister Peter Dutton did not respond to requests for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year