Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Homeless, sex workers swept away for Xi visit



Homeless, sex workers swept away for Xi visit

Detainees sit on the steps of a building at Phnom Penh’s Prey Speu social affairs centre last month.
Detainees sit on the steps of a building at Phnom Penh’s Prey Speu social affairs centre last month. Erin Handley

Homeless, sex workers swept away for Xi visit

More than 50 people were rounded up from the streets of Phnom Penh in the early hours of yesterday morning, destined for the infamous Prey Speu detention centre, as city officials attempted to “clean” and “decorate” the city ahead of Chinese President Xi Jinping’s arrival.

The 53 individuals, consisting largely of the homeless, beggars and sex workers, were grabbed from areas around the Royal Palace, riverside and other parts of Daun Penh district, said Ouk Samal, Daun Penh district’s administration chief.

“We made a plan two days in advance to make our district clean and beautiful,” Samal said. “We did that especially on the big occasion of the arrival the Chinese delegation.”

The roundup had been promised a day before by City Hall spokesman Mean Chanyada.

“We have to round up the beggars, the homeless and sex workers to beautify our Phnom Penh for the special arrival of the Chinese president. We did that for the beauty and order of our Phnom Penh,” he said.

Daun Penh District Governor Kouch Chamroeun dismissed the roundup as a routine event, confirming it had been done specifically for Xi’s visit.

Such street sweeps ahead of state visits have long-established precedent. In 2012, ahead of an ASEAN summit, more than 800 street dwellers and sex workers were cleared from Phnom Penh streets.

Deputy director for Prey Speu Van Ngat said those grabbed yesterday were being held at the Ministry of Social Affairs and would be sent to Prey Speu soon. “We still have to document and classify them as homeless, underage or sex workers,” he said.

City officials have been routinely criticised for sending people to the notorious detention centre, which has been slammed by international rights groups and the United Nations for its inhumane conditions and lack of medical facilities.

Phil Robertson, deputy director for Asia at Human Rights Watch, said the centre was a “prime example of impunity to abuse rights” and was now being used to hide the poor and disadvantaged from a foreign leader. “It’s really outrageous that after all the many exposés of the violations that happen there, nothing ever changes,” he said.

James Sutherland, communications coordinator for Friends International, said such roundups were unacceptable, whatever the reasons offered, adding that only sustainable solutions “will actually get people off the streets and away from dangerous or risky life situations”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In