Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Land dispute petitions lodged with government

Land dispute petitions lodged with government

A police officer directs a group of demonstrators protesting a land dispute in Phnom Penh yesterday.
A police officer directs a group of demonstrators protesting a land dispute in Phnom Penh yesterday.

Land dispute petitions lodged with government

Five groups of land evictees marched to the Council of Ministers yesterday to submit petitions.

Between 30 and 40 evictees, from Chroy Changvar and a handful of other commuities involved in land disputes, were received by council adviser Seng Savorn who pledged to send the petitions to National Authority for Land Disputes and Resolution’s chairman, Bin Chhin.

With the resumption of land clearing on the Chroy Changvar peninsula, Chea Sophat said their petition requested the government purchase their land at market rates and not the $15 per square metre offered.

Another suggested solution, he said, was to allow families to retain 65 per cent of the land, and use of the remaining 35 per cent for the development of a satellite city in the district.

He said the petitioners also rejected comments by Phnom Penh Deputy Governor Khuong Sreng on Sunday that the land belonged to City Hall.

The other evictees also demanded the quick resolution of their cases, with representatives of the Former Boeung Kak Women’s Network asking for additional compensation for the land they had given up.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Kingdom’s rice crowned world’s No1

    Cambodia’s Phka Rumduol jasmine variety has been crowned the World’s Best Rice for the fifth time at the TRT (The Rice Trader) World Rice Conference in Phuket, Thailand on November 17, according to leaders of the Kingdom’s apex rice industry body. Phka Rumduol

  • Ministry to 'seek justice' for officials indicted in US for 'monkey smuggling'

    The Cambodian government and the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries said they will make the “utmost effort” to seek justice for a Cambodian official arrested in John F Kennedy International Airport in New York for allegedly conspiring to smuggle crab-eating macaque monkeys (Macaca fascicularis)

  • Takeo hand-woven silk items provide local high-quality alternative to imports

    After graduating from university and beginning her career as a civil servant at the the Ministry of Economy and Finance, Khieu Sina found time to establish a business that aligns with her true passion – quality hand-woven Khmer goods. Her product line, known as Banteay Srei,