Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Measles confirmation prompts fears, action

Measles confirmation prompts fears, action

A government health worker administers a measles vaccination to a student at a Phnom Penh secondary school in 2013.
A government health worker administers a measles vaccination to a student at a Phnom Penh secondary school in 2013. Vireak Mai

Measles confirmation prompts fears, action

Two measles cases investigated by the government in recent weeks have been confirmed positive, bringing the total number to five this year and causing concern among health officials about a possible outbreak after the World Health Organization declared the country measles-free just last year.

The latest cases – found in an 8-month-old in Phnom Penh and a 10-month-old in Svay Rieng province – have the same strain that caused a deadly outbreak in Vietnam in 2014, Ork Vichit, manager of Cambodia’s National Immunization Program, said yesterday.

He said the transmission might have migrated from a neighbouring country.

“It’s an issue that we have to solve,” he said. “We still have some intervention in the areas where the cases were identified. People are being provided vaccines.”

The immunisation program has requested $200,000 for operational costs to cover the intervention efforts, Vichit said.

It has also requested 200,000 measles vaccines from the Measles and Rubella Initiative, a global organisation, to conduct a follow-up intervention effort to vaccinate people in the areas where the three prior cases were identified earlier this year, he added.

In May, a case was identified in Takeo province’s Bati district, where another case had cropped up in January, he said. The first case was identified in Kampong Speu’s Kong Pisei district in January.

A WHO Cambodia expert was not available for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Quarantine still a must for all arrivals, in next Covid chapter

    Since early May, an average of five to 10 Cambodian people have died from Covid-19 a day with many others testing positive amid the ongoing community outbreak. At the same time, however, hundreds of patients also recovered a day. The first Covid-19 case in Cambodia was

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • First commercial gold mine online

    Australian miner Renaissance Minerals (Cambodia) Ltd on June 21 began the commercial operation of its $120 million Okvau Gold Project in the northeastern province of Mondulkiri, becoming the Kingdom’s first gold producer. Located in the Okvau area in southwestern Mondulkiri province’s Keo Seima district, the

  • Jab drive heading to 5 provinces

    The government is set to vaccinate more than 1.2 million people in five provinces after finishing with Phnom Penh and neighbouring Kandal in an ongoing campaign administered by the ministries of Health and National Defence. The five provinces are Preah Sihanouk, Kampong Speu, Takeo, Kampong Cham

  • New immigration bill targets illegal foreigners in Kingdom

    General Department of Immigration (GDI) officials are discussing revisions to the new draft law on immigration to prevent foreigners from entering Cambodia illegally and to supervise those living in the Kingdom more effectively. The revisions draw wide support among civil society organisations. GDI director-general Kirth

  • Transport minister requests free trial of Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway

    The Ministry of Public Works and Transport held discussions with the company constructing the expressway from Phnom Penh to Preah Sihanouk province to allow drivers to test the road free of charge before an official toll is set. While inspecting the progress of its construction