Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More than 100 Chinese arrested for alleged telecommunications fraud

More than 100 Chinese arrested for alleged telecommunications fraud

Immigration police round up dozens of reportedly Chinese nationals participating in telecommunications fraud in Phnom Penh. Photo supplied.
Immigration police on Monday round up dozens of reportedly Chinese nationals participating in telecommunications fraud in Phnom Penh. Photo supplied.

More than 100 Chinese arrested for alleged telecommunications fraud

Police arrested more than 100 Chinese nationals for telecommunications fraud in Phnom Penh in two separate raids on Monday, according to immigration police.

Uk Hai Sela, director of investigations for the Immigration Department, confirmed that 119 men and women were rounded up in the capital’s Tuol Kork and Sen Sok districts.

The department received help from the Phnom Penh Municipal Court prosecutor and the National Police “to check on the illegal online games and VoIP [voice over Internet protocol] crime”, Hai Sela confirmed in a message.

Immigration officials have deported hundreds of Chinese nationals for operating such scams over the years, which have in the past involved extorting victims in mainland China. Another 100 suspects were arrested in March, with 200 arrested in August 2017 for a similar scheme.

Of the 70 suspects arrested in Toul Kork and the 49 in Sen Sok, none had passports. Police did not specify whether any suspects were Taiwanese. The Kingdom has previously been criticised for deporting Taiwanese nationals to China.

Of the 70 suspects arrested in Toul Kork and the 49 in Sen Sok, none had passports. Police did not specify whether any suspects were Taiwanese. The Kingdom has previously been criticised for deporting Taiwanese nationals to China.

Hai Sela said the suspects are all currently being questioned.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • First case of coronavirus reported in the Kingdom

    Cambodia reported its first case of the deadly 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) on Monday, Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng announced. He said medical specialists detected the virus in a Chinese tourist in Sihanoukville. The minister said Jia Jianhua, 60, travelled from Wuhan city, where the outbreak

  • PM urges precaution amid virus outbreak

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday called on all Cambodians to bump up precautions to avoid contracting the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that has already killed more than 50 people in China. The prime minister told the public to remain calm but alert about the possibility of

  • Gov’t slams NGO over 2019 corruption report

    The government on Thursday slammed a report that described the Kingdom as highly corrupt. Government spokesperson Phay Siphan dismissed the latest Transparency International (TI) report as “just an advertisement of NGOs to promote their own interests”. Released on Thursday, the report puts Cambodia near the

  • NBC’s digital payments to go live in next few months

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) will launch a Blockchain-based, peer-to-peer payment and money transfer platform in the next few months, its director-general Chea Serey told The Post on Monday. Dubbed ‘Project Bakong’, the scheme already has the support of 11 banks, with many more expected

  • Gov’t answers garment buyers’ complaint

    Some of the biggest buyers in the Kingdom’s garment sector have urged Prime Minister Hun Sen to address issues faced by unions and workers – a request a senior official said was out of touch with the situation on the ground. The letter addressed to