Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Multiple suspects arrested over grenade attack, but police offer few details



Multiple suspects arrested over grenade attack, but police offer few details

People gather at the scene of a grenade attack earlier this month in Phnom Penh.
People gather at the scene of a grenade attack earlier this month in Phnom Penh. Heng Chivoan

Multiple suspects arrested over grenade attack, but police offer few details

Police have arrested at least five suspects over the past two days in connection to a grenade attack that rattled a Phnom Penh neighbourhood two weeks ago, injuring four people, but officials yesterday remained tight-lipped as to the suspects’ identities and motives.

Sok Khemarin, chief of the Ministry of Interior’s penal police department, said yesterday that authorities had five suspects in custody, but that only three or four of them were likely involved in the crime. Khemarin’s account of the arrests was corroborated by a Phnom Penh municipal police officer, who was part of the team that made the arrests.

“During the operation [Tuesday] and [yesterday], we arrested five suspects that are involved in the grenade attack on Street 163,” he said on condition of anonymity. “They were sent to the National Police headquarters for questioning.”

Prior to yesterday’s arrests, security personnel professed to having essentially no leads on the September 6 grenade blast in the capital’s Boeung Keng Kang III commune.

Security camera footage of the explosion showed the grenade being dropped from a passing motorbike, then exploding on the driver’s side of a white Lexus SUV as it passed seconds later.

The blast – which injured four individuals and damaged three other cars – was initially chalked up as a case of revenge by the police. However, a day after the explosion, National Police spokesman Kirth Chantharith suggested it was an attempt to affect Cambodia’s security.

Reached yesterday, Chantharith said that he was unaware of the details of the arrests because he was away from the capital, referring questions instead to Phnom Penh police chief Chhoun Sovann, who could not be reached.

Speaking to local media earlier in the day, Ministry of Interior spokesman Khieu Sopheak said the case was related to a love triangle, and that police were again pursuing it as a case of “revenge”.

While Sopheak could not be reached yesterday, there was a flurry of activity at the Interior Ministry, with families of those arrested attempting to locate them.

A Singaporean man was overheard demanding to meet his Vietnamese wife, who had been arrested late on Tuesday night and kept at the Ministry of Interior. However, a police officer, who was involved in the questioning, informed him that his wife had “masterminded” the attack, while refusing to divulge any other details.

“Your wife had a boyfriend. She planned the grenade attack to get revenge,” the police officer could be heard saying, adding that seven people had been arrested, of which three were Vietnamese.

However, the man, who declined to identify himself to a reporter, denied his wife had any involvement.

Another woman looking for her husband – a security guard at the Borey Chamkarmon gated residential community – was told that her husband would be produced in court today over his involvement in the attack. The woman declined to comment on the matter and, in a surprising move, was herself taken into custody a short time later for her alleged involvement in the case.

Officials present at the ministry, however, refused to comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and