Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Nauru refugees ‘not disappointed’: immigration chief



Nauru refugees ‘not disappointed’: immigration chief

Australian Minister for Immigration Peter Dutton (left) talks with immigration chief Sok Phal (right) about refugee resettlement last year at the Ministry of Interior in Phnom Penh. Immigration Department
Australian Minister for Immigration Peter Dutton (left) talks with immigration chief Sok Phal (right) about refugee resettlement last year at the Ministry of Interior in Phnom Penh. Immigration Department

Nauru refugees ‘not disappointed’: immigration chief

Interior Ministry immigration chief Sok Phal yesterday claimed that the five refugees transferred to Cambodia from Australia’s detention centre on Nauru island had no disappointments in their time here, despite three leaving the Kingdom for the countries they fled.

“I think we have given them their rights and freedoms. There are no points the refugees are disappointed with,” Phal said when questioned by a reporter during a press conference on illegal immigration.

Mohammed Rashid, one of the two remaining refugees settled under the $A55 million deal with the Australian government, this month said he regretted coming to Cambodia.

“It was a big mistake for me to come here,” Rashid said.

Phal stressed that the five refugees came of their own free will and refused to be drawn into evaluating the deal’s outcomes.

“Therefore, we cannot say it was unsuccessful or successful; we respected their right [to leave] voluntarily,” said Phal.

Phil Robertson, deputy director of Human Rights Watch’s Asia division, described Phal’s equivocation as “diplomatic”.

“The idea he doesn’t know whether it’s a success or not is a diplomatic response to say what he doesn’t want to say, which is: This worked out just the way we wanted; we got all the money and we didn’t have to take many refugees and there are no more coming now,” Robertson said.

Sister Denise Coghlan of the Jesuit Refugee Service said she opposed the resettlement deal but “in this era when so many countries are unwilling to accept refugees, it’s heartening to see Cambodia was willing to take them”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting