Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New charges brought against Ta An at KRT

New charges brought against Ta An at KRT

Ao An (Ta An) is a former secretary of Sector 41 and deputy chief of Central Zone of Democratic Kampuchea. Dara Vanthan/DCCAM
Ao An (Ta An) is a former secretary of Sector 41 and deputy chief of Central Zone of Democratic Kampuchea. Dara Vanthan/DCCAM

New charges brought against Ta An at KRT

Case 004 suspect Ao An was handed additional charges of genocide and crimes against humanity yesterday by international co-investigating judge Michael Bohlander at the Khmer Rouge tribunal.

Ao An, better known as “Ta An”, was originally charged on March 27, 2015, with premeditated homicide and crimes against humanity, including murder, extermination, persecution on political and religious grounds, imprisonment and other inhumane acts. The crime sites included the Kok Pring execution site, Tuol Beng security centre and the Wat Au Trakuon security centre.

The charges handed down yesterday include the original charges plus the charge of genocide against the Cham ethnic minority and the additional crimes against humanity of enslavement and torture, according to a court press release.

The announcement also notes that An is charged with “persecution against the so-called ‘17 April people’, former Lon Nol soldiers, Central [Old North] Zone cadres, their families and subordinates, people from the East Zone, and other ‘bad elements’ and ‘internal enemies’; persecution against Cham and Vietnamese people”.

An also stands accused of “other inhumane acts including forced marriage, rape, enforced disappearances, physical abuse, forced labour, and inhumane conditions of detention”.

Crime sites added to the case against An are the Anlong Chrey Dam forced labour site, the Met Sop (Kor) security centre, Wat Angkuonh Dei pagoda, the Wat Batheay security centre, the Wat Phnom Pros execution site, the Wat Ta Meak security centre, the Chamkar Svay Chanty security centre, the Wat Baray Chan Dek security centre, the Wat Srenge security centre and “various locations in Kampong Cham”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • US, Cambodia pledge to strengthen military ties

    The US on Tuesday pledged to help train military officers, particularly Cambodia’s blue helmet troops deployed for UN’s peacekeeping operations. The pledge was made during a meeting between US ambassador Patrick Murphy and Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) commander-in-chief General Vong Pisen. Further

  • Sokha lodges an appeal over treason case reaching court

    Kem Sokha, the president of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), has appealed against the decision to send his treason case to trial. Sokha’s legal team said their client was not satisfied with the decision of a Phnom Penh Municipal Court investigating

  • Rights Day forum denied in Sihanoukville

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration last Saturday denied the request of land communities for a public location in the province to celebrate International Human Rights Day 2019 as the administration had already held forums to discuss land issues. However, the land community representatives said they would

  • Gov’t approves $9B worth of building projects in 2019

    The government has approved more than $9 billion this year for capital investment in the construction sector, a nearly 80 per cent increase on last year, with most of the growth coming from projects in Sihanoukville, according to Minister of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction Chea

  • King rescinds oknha honorific of 46 National Police officials

    The oknha titles of 46 National Police officials with the rank of general, as well as senior officials in the ministries of Interior and National Defence, will be withdrawn following a royal decree from King Norodom Sihamoni. National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun told The Post