Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - No penalty for venue that screened Chut Wutty film

No penalty for venue that screened Chut Wutty film

A crowd views a screening of banned documentary I Am Chut Wutty at Phnom Penh's Solidarity House on Tuesday.
A crowd views a screening of banned documentary I Am Chut Wutty at Phnom Penh's Solidarity House on Tuesday. Lay Samean

No penalty for venue that screened Chut Wutty film

The NGO that screened a banned documentary about Chut Wutty on Tuesday to mark the anniversary of the environmental activist’s death will not face any punitive action, according to the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts.

Cambodia Youth Network president Sor Mory said a representative of the ministry yesterday went to Solidarity House, where I Am Chut Wutty was shown, and demanded the film be handed over.

“We refused,” said Mory.

Sin Chansaya, director of the ministry’s Department of Film, said no action would be taken against the NGOs that screened the film.

“No action, but the screening is [still] not allowed,” Chansaya said. “What would happen if someone just secretly filmed everywhere and screened it like this?”

The Meta House cultural centre was banned from screening the documentary last week on the grounds that it had not been approved by the ministry.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will