Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PM calls out Tbong Khmum governor’s logging failures

PM calls out Tbong Khmum governor’s logging failures

Authorities walk through a rosewood warehouse in Tbong Khmum province during a government crackdown on illegal logging earlier this year. Photo supplied
Authorities walk through a rosewood warehouse in Tbong Khmum province during a government crackdown on illegal logging earlier this year. Photo supplied

PM calls out Tbong Khmum governor’s logging failures

Following hot on the heels of a lengthy and unprecedented public forum on conservation – which saw the premier fire off a handful of from-the-hip concessions to the Kingdom’s long-sidelined environmental community – Hun Sen yesterday publicly admonished the governor of Tbong Khmum province to step up his game in the fight against illegal logging.

The call comes eight months after the government launched its highly publicised crackdown on illegal cross-border timber smuggling in Cambodia’s eastern provinces. But after decades of alleged state complicity in the plunder of forests and the crackdown’s failure to produce high-level prosecutions, environmentalists were quick to label the premier’s remarks little more than lip service.

Hun Sen yesterday posted on Facebook that he had met with Tbong Khmum Governor Prach Chan on Tuesday and told him coordinate anti-logging efforts.

“Samdech ordered [the] governor to be responsible and order three forces which include police, military police and soldiers to absolutely carry out this work,” wrote the premier, who said local authorities should also coordinate with their Vietnamese counterparts across the border. “[They] especially must take action against big ringleaders; don’t arrest only ordinary people.”

The orders appear to run contrary to recent proclamations by officials, including Environment Minister Sam Say Al, about the success of the government’s export ban.

Reporting on its results in April, a committee established in January to lead the crackdown against timber smuggling to Vietnam announced it had all but stopped the trade.

At the time, Eng Hy, the committee’s spokesman, declared the team had initiated 51 court cases against individuals and companies and seized 70,000 cubic metres of timber.

Reached yesterday, Hy, a senior military police official, declined to comment on the progress of the prosecutions, referring queries to the respective provincial prosecutors, who could not be reached.

Meanwhile, Tbong Khmum Governor Chan also declined to provide an update on the efforts, only to say he had “taken actions” in line with the prime minister’s directive, before hanging up on a reporter.

Neang Sovath, provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said the premier’s words were making little difference on the ground.

“There is no decrease,” Sovath said. “I asked people along the corridors. One says the sound of timber transportation is louder than the ban of samdech prime minister.”

Von Senghuy, NGO Licadho’s provincial investigator, said though some individuals without “connections” had been put out of business by the government’s recent efforts, there remained many timber traders untroubled by the law.

“It seems for those who are well connected, their activities continue,” Senghuy said.

Yesterday’s pronouncement and Monday’s forum with conservation activists seem of a piece with a nationwide “solutions” tour that has seen the premier crisscross the country making populist pledges in what some have suggested is a bid for votes in the upcoming elections. Continuing that trend, the premier also yesterday vowed to award land titles to 93 families in three different districts in Kampong Cham province.

He also announced plans to “take back” a 20-kilometre stretch of road in that province’s Sre Santhor district from the World Bank and hand it over to the provincial authorities to reconstruct.

However, it was yesterday unclear as to what precise road or project Hun Sen was referring. According to the World Bank’s website, it is investing more than $60 million in road maintenance in Cambodia, though the project is being implemented via the Ministry of Public Works and Transport.

The website says there is no maintenance work in Sre Santhor district though there are upgrades slated for nearby Tonle Bet district. The World Bank did not respond by press time.

MOST VIEWED

  • Time to avert disastrous Covid situation: officials

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia is heading towards further large-scale community transmission as the total number of confirmed cases is nearing 61,000 and the death toll passed 900 on July 10, senior health officials warned. Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine expressed concern that the country was going

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided