Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Seven foreigners granted bail in Siem Reap 'porn' case



Seven foreigners granted bail in Siem Reap 'porn' case

A group of foreigners accused of ‘producing pornography’ stand outside a courtroom in Siem Reap province on January 27. Chan Raksmey/AFP
A group of foreigners accused of ‘producing pornography’ stand outside a courtroom in Siem Reap province on January 27. Chan Raksmey/AFP

Seven foreigners granted bail in Siem Reap 'porn' case

Seven of the 10 foreigners arrested for so-called “pornographic dancing” during a pool party in Siem Reap last month were released yesterday on bail, a court spokesman said today.

Yin Srang, Siem Reap Provincial Court spokesman, confirmed that seven of the detainees received bail, but could not provide the nationalities of those released.

“Seven of them got bail, I think yesterday. But I don't know who they are,” he said. "The decision was made by Investigating Judge Chhe Virak."

The group was arrested in a Janurary 25 raid by 30 anti-human trafficking police in Siem Reap’s Svay Dangkum commune, where they were attending a pool party set up by a group of party organisers called “Let’s Get Wet”. They were provisionally charged with "producing pornography", despite a local official later acknowledging, point blank, that the group "did not produce pornographic pictures". The charge carries a sentence of one month to one year in prison and a fine of up to $2,500.

A new defence lawyer on the case, Ouch Sopheaktra, confirmed that he had filed for bail for seven of the 10 foreigners but had not heard the request was granted. He said the seven were not involved with organising the party.

Meanwhile, Sourng Sophea, another lawyer for the group, said that Judge Virak had informed him that the investigation period had been closed, but no hearing date had been scheduled.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and