Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Timber seized during crackdown to be sold



Timber seized during crackdown to be sold

Authorities inspect a stockpile of illegal timber last month after it was discovered during a raid in Kampong Speu province. National Police
Authorities inspect a stockpile of illegal timber last month after it was discovered during a raid in Kampong Speu province. National Police

Timber seized during crackdown to be sold

Prime Minister Hun Sen confirmed yesterday that at least some of the 70,000 cubic metres of wood seized by the anti-logging committee would go up for auction, contradicting his March pledge to stop such sales and hand the remaining timber to the Ministry of Education.

“Some timber is going to die [if we wait] for the teachers to transport it,” Hun Sen said during a graduation ceremony at Koh Pich.

“Therefore, we have established a committee to put the [timber] up for bid in the country but not for export.” He said that revenue from the auction would be used to buy construction materials for more schools.

Anti-logging committee spokesman Eng Hy said most of the timber remained in forests around Kratie, Mondulkiri and Stung Treng where it had been found.

Both Hy and Forestry Administration director Chheng Kim Sun said they didn’t know any specifics about the proposed auction.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said that the Education Ministry was not guaranteed to get all the revenue.

“Normally, it would be [divided among] relevant ministries such as the ministries of education, economy and finance, agriculture, environment and the Forestry Administration,” said Siphan.

Cambodia National Rescue Party spokesman Yim Sovann said his party’s lawmakers were continuing to call for greater transparency in the bidding process, a request that the ruling party still has not fulfilled.

“The suspicion of the lack of transparency has remained for every state asset put up for bid,” said Sovann.

Additional reporting by Igor Kossov

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said