Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tycoon’s mother sees new charge over ‘gift’

Tycoon’s mother sees new charge over ‘gift’

Keo Sary, the mother of Thong Sarath, is escorted out of Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday after being questioned.
Keo Sary, the mother of Thong Sarath, is escorted out of Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday after being questioned. Hong Menea

Tycoon’s mother sees new charge over ‘gift’

The mother of tycoon Thong Sarath, a former general at the Ministry of Defence accused of murdering fellow tycoon Ung Meng Cheu, has been charged with allegedly giving a gift to a court official to secure her release from prison in February.

Keo Sary, 57, was questioned yesterday morning on charges of active trading in influence under Article 606 of the Criminal Code, which deals with gifts to public officials.

In December, Sary and her husband, Thong Chamroeun, were sentenced to two years in prison for possessing unlicensed weapons, while Sarath was jailed for 30 months in June on the same charge.

Sarath has yet to stand trial for his alleged role as the mastermind of the 2014 public slaying of Meng Cheu.

Sary is alleged to have arranged for a gift to be passed to Pich Prumhmony, the former right-hand man of disgraced Phnom Penh court president Ang Maltey, to gain her and her husband’s release on bail.

After the release was granted, they were re-arrested on their way to the Vietnamese border.

Prumhmony was convicted last month of meddling in a court investigation, and was also reportedly charged with “passive trading in influence”, or accepting a bribe, which could see him jailed for up to 10 years.

Sary faces between two and five years in prison if convicted over the alleged “gift”.

Hav Sina, lawyer for the defence, declined to comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials