Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - UN backs local OHCHR office in dispute

UN backs local OHCHR office in dispute

UN Office for the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) country representative Wan-Hea Lee speaks during a press conference in Phnom Penh last month.
UN Office for the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) country representative Wan-Hea Lee speaks during a press conference in Phnom Penh last month. Hong Menea

UN backs local OHCHR office in dispute

The United Nations is standing behind Office for the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) country representative Wan-Hea Lee after a letter signed by Foreign Minister Prak Sokhon accused her of failing to respect Cambodia’s sovereignty.

Sokhon had taken umbrage at Lee’s public request for an explanation of the government’s decision to ban opposition leader Sam Rainsy from returning to Cambodia.

The letter, sent last Friday, also alluded to OHCHR’s lapsed memorandum of understanding with the Foreign Ministry, declaring the agency’s activities “illegitimate” until a new one was signed, something Sokhon said the government had made a “firm commitment” to.

Rupert Colville – a spokesman for High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad al Hussein, who was copied on the letter – said in emailed comments yesterday that memorandum or not, OHCHR would continue to operate.

“The universal mandate of the High Commissioner for Human Rights means he and his staff can meet with, deal with, and take up issues on behalf of anyone whose rights may have been violated based on international Human Rights Law – not on national legislation,” Colville wrote. “That is our normal work, and we do it all the time all across the world.”

OHCHR Cambodia’s Lee took a similarly strong line in an email to the Post, although she did note that she shared the government’s disappointment with the way her remarks on Rainsy’s exile were reported.

“When restrictions are imposed on this or any other human right, the UN Human Rights Committee – and indeed, the Cambodian public – will expect an explanation, which Cambodia is obliged to provide through many well established reporting channels,” Lee wrote. “This is not a personal view, these are voluntarily accepted human rights standards and reporting obligations.”

In an email, Human Rights Watch deputy Asia director Phil Robertson described Sokhon’s letter as “a blatant ploy to try and and browbeat the UN Country Team to take action against Wan-Hea Lee”.

“She’s done nothing wrong and the UN should stand up to this intimidation,” Robertson wrote. “[Prime Minister] Hun Sen needs to stop playing these political games and order an immediate extension of the [memorandum of understanding].”

Ou Virak, president of the Future Forum think tank, said that there was likely more bark than bite in the government’s allusions to the lapsed memorandum.

“It’s getting a bit old, isn’t it?” Virak said. “They are not in any position to close the office or kick them out.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • Shanxi wins bid to build sections of new Siem Reap airport

    Shanxi Mechanization Construction Group recently won the bid to build two sections of the new Siem Reap Angkor International Airport project in Cambodia for 290 million yuan ($42.16 million). The existing Angkor International Airport in Siem Reap, 5km from the famous ancient temple complex and world tourism

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said