Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Veng Sreng protesters' appeal rejected

Veng Sreng protesters' appeal rejected

Protesters chant on Phnom Penh’s Veng Sreng Boulevard in front of fires during garment industry protests that turned violent in January 2014.
Protesters chant on Phnom Penh’s Veng Sreng Boulevard in front of fires during garment industry protests that turned violent in January 2014. Pha Lina

Veng Sreng protesters' appeal rejected

The Court of Appeal yesterday upheld the convictions of 13 protesters from 2014’s deadly Veng Sreng Boulevard riots on charges ranging from incitement to intentional violence, a ruling slammed by a rights group for glossing over the role of security forces, who shot dead at least four and injured dozens that day.

The 13 were arrested on January 3, 2014, for participating in minimum wage protests that turned violent, ultimately culminating in the fatal crackdown by security forces.

All were given suspended sentences that May for destroying property and injuring police, while no member of the security forces has ever been sanctioned over the violence.

During last week’s hearing, which was conducted without the presence of the defendants or their lawyers, police claimed that authorities used no weapons during the crackdown, contrary to reams of evidence from video and eyewitnesses.

Senior Licadho investigator Am Sam Ath said that the court’s decision “shows how the culture of impunity continues for weak and innocent people, because the authorities who cracked down and killed over and over again are not held responsible”.

However, presiding judge Chay Chandaravan defended the ruling, saying there was substantial evidence indicating that protestors were guilty of destroying public property and rock-throwing, which blinded one security forces member.

“If [the defendants] are unhappy, they can go to the Supreme Court,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the

  • Shipwreck found off coast of Koh Kong

    Royal Cambodian Navy researchers are working to identify a decades-old shipwreck found earlier this month off the coast of Koh Kong province. Divers found the 70-metre-long wreck on April 4 about a mile from Koh Chhlam island, according to Navy officials. Deputy Navy Commander Tea Sokha,