Jailed commentator Kim Sok’s appeal rejected

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Political analyst Kim Sok, seen in July through a fenced police vehicle outside Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

Jailed commentator Kim Sok’s appeal rejected

The Appeal Court on Friday upheld the conviction and 18-month sentence of political commentator Kim Sok, who last year had publicly suggested Prime Minister Hun Sen was behind the assassination of fellow political analyst Kem Ley.

Following a dramatic trial, in which Kim Sok attempted to leave the courtroom, the analyst was sentenced to 18 months in prison and ordered to pay a $2,000 fine to the state and $200,000 to the premier in compensatory damages.

On Friday, Kim Sok did not deny making the claim on a Radio Free Asia show in February, but insisted the Appeal Court show footage of the revered commentator Ley’s murder. “Why does the court not show the video clip?” he said in court. “After showing, if it shows that I speak wrong, you can sentence me to however many years.”

However, Presiding Judge Plong Samnang said Sok should have provided more evidence to support his request and announced he was upholding the Phnom Penh Municipal Court’s decision.

Sok’s lawyer, Choung Choungy, said he would file an appeal with the Supreme Court this week.

Kim Sarom

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police